Today we have our first “Open Mic“entry. If you want to take part then email me with an article that you feel will interest or benefit the readers.
The Single Biggest Reason People Will Buy Toothpaste – By Ankesh Kothari
1. Have you ever heard anyone say something like: “I love this ad for the toothpaste. I’m going to switch brands and buy that one.”
I haven’t. An eye catching or outrageous viral campaign or ad will make me like the ad. And pass it on to friends. But it won’t make me buy the product.
So what is the biggest reason that makes people buy toothpaste?
Running out of toothpaste!
Yup. People will only buy toothpaste when they are about to run out of it.
Viral campaigns or paid advertising won’t create demand for your product out of thin air. But it will build awareness for your product and make people remember it when they actually need it.
But if you’re not selling a seasonal product like Halloween costumes, chances are people will “need” your product at different times of the year.
Now do you understand why you need to promote your product constantly? If you don’t have a long term yearly marketing plan, a lot of people who may buy from you will end up buying from your competition – because the competitor’s brand is on top of their minds when they actually feel a need for the product.
2. This story may or may not be true. But it makes a good point.
One day, a marketing executive goes and challenges Colgate – the toothpaste making giant: “What will you give me if I double your sales with just one slight change?”
After some negotiation, Colgate enters into a deal with the marketing executive and promises him a lot of money. But the money would only be paid if their sales double.
The marketing executive is smart. He does double Colgate sales. And earns his huge paycheque. So what is the one small change that he makes to double the sales?
The executive simply enlarges the orifice – the opening part of the tube that has the paste! Every morning, when people squeeze their toothpaste tube, more paste comes out. As a result, they run out of toothpaste more quickly. And end up buying more toothpaste more frequently!
- Your marketing stunts and ads should be fun enough or outrageous enough so that people pass it on to others. And build a stronger awareness for your product.
- But it should also have a strong anchor point – something that connects the ad concept with your product – something that doesn’t make people remember your ad but forget your product.
- You need to run your ads and your marketing stunts all through out the year.
- Easy way to increase your sales: make people utilize or consume your products faster.
If you liked the above post by Ankesh Kothari, you’ll love his blog “How To Grow Your Blog Traffic.” [http://www.BlogClout.com/blog/]. He teaches you how to build a business around your blog to sell more products and earn more money.